Caprese salad is already pretty tasty. Fresh tomato, basil, and mozzarella, you can already get away with eating it for under 200 calories a serving. But if you stand there and eat the whole plate, that’s where the trouble happens. The salad is also drizzled with olive oil, and sprinkled with salt and pepper. If you’re not careful, there’s a sodium bomb waiting to strike.
What if you want something filling, office lunch worthy, and something to beat the mid-afternoon slump? For 6 PointsPlus, you can have this super tasty caprese sandwich, and it’ll fill you up and keep you going!
Caprese Bagel Sandwich
Serves 1 | 6 PointsPlus per sandwich
- 1 Thomas Bagel Thin (Plain or Everything flavor)
- 2 Tbsp Fat-Free Cream Cheese (I used Green Mountain Farms Greek Cream Cheese that’s a Greek yogurt and cream cheese blend. Extra protein, woo!)
- 6 slices Oscar Mayer Deli Fresh Oven Roasted Turkey
- 2 leaves fresh Basil
- 1 half Roma Tomato
- Lex’s Special Spice (Garlic Powder, Ginger, and Cayenne Pepper)
How It Works!
- Toast your bagel. Turn the inside of the bagel facing outward in the toasting slots, so the inside gets all toasty and you don’t burn the outside. Burned sesame seeds on an everything bagel are not pleasant.
- Meanwhile, slice your basil and tomato. I have a basil plant, so I pinch off the leaves and off I go. You can buy already cut basil in the supermarket. Don’t use the stuff in the squeeze bottle. The trick to cutting basil is not to use a serrated knife. You need the sharpest knife you have. In our house, we have chef grade Ikea knives. So, roll your basil leaves together lengthwise, and cut into thin strips. Set aside. Take your tomato, and slice with a serrated knife. Set aside.
- In a small dish, measure out your 2 tablespoons of cream cheese. Add your basil, and Lex’s Special Spice (A pinch of garlic powder, pinch of ground ginger, and a bit of cayenne pepper to taste. The Special Spice instantly makes anything taste awesome.) Mix together the ingredients with the back of a spoon.
- Take your toasted bagel and on one half, spread your basil cream cheese mixture, and on the other half, top with your turkey slices and tomato slices.
- Put the two halves together and stuff in your face! Enjoy with a side of fruit. Perhaps a mandarin orange, frozen grapes, or a decadent Broiled Brown Sugar Banana.
Now You Try!
What did you think? Did you take this to work with you? Did you love the taste of fresh basil? For me, I can’t get enough basil! A good tip is not to store your tomatoes in the fridge. They turn colorless and lose all flavor. I used to put mine in the fridge and I just started leaving them out. Oh my god! A world of difference!