What is a Dutch Baby? It’s a puffed pancake and known as a German Pancake or Bismark. You either serve it with a dollop of plain yogurt or serve it as a desert with a bit of Cool Whip. This Blueberry Dutch Baby comes from the Weight Watchers Powerfoods Cookbook and is 5 PointsPlus per serving.
Wanna try it? As the Lemmings say “Let’s go!”
Powerfoods Blueberry Dutch Baby
Serves 4 | 5 PointsPlus per serving
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup egg substitute (I was out, so I cracked some eggs and used egg whites)
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 fresh or frozen blueberries (or whatever berries you’d like)
- 2 tsp confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place butter in a 9 inch oven proof skillet (like cast iron) or a glass pie plate. Place in oven and heat until the butter melts, about 2-3 minutes.
- Combine milk, flour, egg substitute, oil, cinnamon, and salt in a blender and process until very smooth, about 1 minute. (I did around 2 just to be safe.)
- Remove skillet from oven and swirl the butter until it covers the bottom and sides of the skillet. Pour in the milk mixture and sprinkle evenly with blueberries (or other fruit)
- Bake until the pancake is puffed and lightly browned, 25-30 minutes.
- Dust with confectioners’ sugar, cut into wedges and serve with yogurt. (Or Cool Whip!)
Protip: If using a stainless steel skillet without a nonstick coating, it would likely be wise to increase the butter or spritz the skillet with Pam. My Dutch Baby was superglued to my skillet. Hence, no pretty plating pictures. 🙁
Now You Try!
Did you serve it as desert? Or did you eat it like a breakfast? Did you use different fruit combos? What were they? Got any tips for not making it superglue itself to the skillet? Let me know in the comments below!
Just letting you guys know I’m participating in the Hop Against Homophobia and Transphobia Blog Hop over here on my writing blog at Lexchase.com. It’s a very important topic near and dear to my heart as a writer and a person. So stop on by, give a comment, and enter to win a 25 Dollar Amazon Gift Card! Winner will be chosen on May 27th!