Ahhh, grapefruit. The bane of every child’s breakfast plate. Every adult’s too. You’d think by dumping a ton of sugar on it, it would make it somehow less bitter and full of nasty. You’d think, oh, this is good for me! Yeah. Until you dump enough refined white sugar on it to sink a battleship. And then it’s not so good for you anymore.
What if I told you, you can still eat grapefruit and not have to douse it in sweetener? The secret? Stick it under the broiler. Poof! Grapefruit Brulee for 2 PointsPlus!
Serves 2 | 2 PointsPlus per serving
- 1 large grapefruit
- 24 sprays of I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter Spray
- 2 tsp of Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
- Move your oven rack to the very top of the oven and preheat your broiler.
- Slice your grapefruit in half. And with a knife loosen the segments from the membrane.
- With a piece of foil, fold the foil into a little cup shape to hold your grapefruit halves upright on the cookie sheet.
- Rest your grapefruit halves in the foil cups on the cookie sheet.
- Spritz each half with 12 sprays of butter.
- With a measuring spoon, scoop a teaspoon of the brown sugar onto the grapefruit and spread around with your finger to cover the fruit. Be careful not to get any on the rind. The sugar will dissolve a bit. This is okay.
- Stick your grapefruit under the broiler. It’s okay to close the door. You will not burn down your house. Set the timer for 6 minutes and clean up your mess. Remember! A clean kitchen is a happy kitchen!
- When the timer goes off, pull your fruit from the oven, it won’t be caramelized on the fruit itself, but the rind will be toasted. This is what you want.
- Carefully set into a bowl, and enjoy immediately.
Now You Try!
What did you think? Are you a convert to sticking fruit under the broiler? I know I am! Did you try it with oranges? Or peaches? Or even apples? How about bananas? Make note to adjust the cooking time for apples as they’re still pretty hard after 6 minutes.
Comment below with your discoveries of the wonders of citrus fruits and you too can be featured on Bitter Little Pearl!