Chasing Sunrise: Celebrating The Light

ChasingSunrise_FBbanner_DSP
Hello Internet! Today is Chasing Sunrise’s official book birthday. Sevon and the crew have been out among the world for one year. As I mentioned in Wednesday’s post of Chasing Sunrise One Year Later, this series means a lot to me. Not only that, it’s a series that has polarized audiences, from an effeminate hero, to the level of violence, to the emotional toll.

It’s a story of a man trapped at absolute rock bottom, and his climb to find the light. He may not like what he finds, but he has to be brave enough to risk it. It is a story of courage, however frail, that it’s worth taking a stand. It’s a story that I wanted those suffering they way I had to know I see you. I understand you. And there is a way out. There is hope. You just have to grab onto it with both hands and never ever let go. But this series has touched a number of people. I’ve had the honor of readers coming up to me at GRL and express their own experiences and how Sevon’s story helped them confront their monsters.

This series has also touched one particular person in my life, my best friend/adopted baby sister/secret assassin, Mae Wynn Talley. Once she got past all the starstruck flailing and realized I am the biggest dork (it took all of five minutes really) somehow one of us somewhere decided she wanted to cosplay for me. And I decided HELLZ YES.

Let me tell you, Mae cosplaying Sevon is amazing for both of us. It’s insane to see this girl completely transformed into an effeminate man. And for her to be empowered that she can be whoever she wants to be.

Short version is: I have a cosplayer. And that’s fucking rad.

10 Comments Add yours

1. Misty Hillis says:

Mae is absolutely an amazing, smart beautiful young lady.. I love her to pieces!!!

1. Lex says:

Thanks Misty! She has quite the growing fan club among my readers. 😀

2. Susan says:

I loved this book so much when I read the ebook that I had to buy it in paper too (along with Americana Fairy Tale)!

1. Lex says:

Thanks Susan! I feel so bad for readers having to wait on the last two books of Sevon and Jack’s story. But with the whole series being re-released with DSP Publications, I hope it’s all worth it! You’ll be seeing Sevon in all his frilly gowns in 2016 and 2017! Even Chasing Sunrise is getting an all new cover. I’m SUPER excited.

3. Susan says:

Having to wait so long for the rest of Sevon and Jack’s story will be hard, but I know it will be worth it in the end!

1. Lex says:

That means a lot to me for you to say so Susan! 😀 I will say Sevon has a looooong way to go as a person. But Jack will be by his side until the end. The re-release of Chasing Sunrise will also have a peek of Glass Moon at the very end!

I’m writing Star Fall, the final book now and just omg. These boys are going to destroy me in the end. Sevon has such a metamorphosis of being the person everyone expects him to be and the person he’s supposed to be.

Also, just putting it out there, because we only get a hint at how truly epic it is, Bianca and Chaney will probably get their own series. How they met, fell in love, and the wonders they had seen through the ages. Also just how DID they hook up with Louis? 😀

4. Happy Anniversary!! The photos are amazing!! Mae did such an awesome job!

1. Lex says:

Thanks pretty lady. <3 We have all kinds of plans for her to do more Sevon. We're already making plans for Halloween and Christmas. LOL

5. kirifox01 says:

Chasing Sunrise was a challenging read for me. I loved meeting you at GRL last year and having the chance to talk about how the book demonstrated courage so far beyond anything I had ever imagined. Sevon was so broken, yet still strong in his own way. I am looking forward to Sevon’s next chapter.
    Thanks for writing this book. I’ve read it several time since last year. You inspire me, beautiful lady.

1. Lex says:

Aw! Thanks. 😀 As much as I joke about it on social media about the series breaking my face as I write it, this book makes me cry SO hard at times. The ending of Chasing Sunrise is one that will always stick with me. And Kaltag’s influence on Jack as a brother and a man Jack idolized. The rest of the series definitely drifts from the domestic violence that Sevon endured and more into the fantasy aspect of aisa and shifters. But many of Sevon’s scars remain. Jack can only provide so much support, and at times it seems like an impossible burden, but he’ll stick by the man he loves.

You and I have both been there. As I always say people assume that we’ll get “better.” We may never be 100% better, just we’ll get to a point that the scars won’t itch as much. Sevon is that person. He’ll never be 100% better, and for him to just shake it off like it doesn’t matter is a disservice to him and the readers he represents. Sevon is the walking wounded. He’s fought hard for every last scar on his heart and the physical one on his chest. They’re his badges of honor, and his reminders of never again.