Cover Reveal: Pawn Takes Rook

on
Pawn Takes Rook #1 by Lex Chase from Dreamspinner Press
Pawn Takes Rook #1 by Lex Chase from Dreamspinner Press.

Ever get that week where everything that can possibly go wrong did and then finally something went unbelievably right? That’s today. The nail-biting, anxious email refreshing, real life invading dreams, and so on… It’s here. The wait is over. The cover to Pawn Takes Rook exists in the world.

And it is magnificent.

My cover artist was changed at the last possible second. Instead of Shobana Appavu who I’ve salivated over having art from her for years, I got assigned to Paul Richmond. Paul is he assistant art director with Dreamspinner, so needless to say I was quite honored. He took a simply terrible thumbnail sketch I had sent in with my packet and made something marvelous.

I mentioned on Facebook, it’s like that moment in “Will and Grace” where Grace, an interior designer, makes over the arrogant out-n-proud Jack’s apartment and he gasps and says “I always dreamed of living in Jeanie’s bottle but it’s this!

Rook, in the foreground, looks better (and hotter!) than I had ever imagined. Hogarth, in the background, is adorably perfect and his Pikachu shirt is an awesome touch.

I have a lot going on in my life right now, I’m currently Nurse Lex as my mom recovers from unexpected complications to gallbladder surgery, and in two weeks my dad is getting knee surgery. I had to drop two of my college classes and puzzle out a way to graduate on time while I care for them. It’s one day at a time, and one foot in front of the other.

When I got the cover, I was so emotionally raw and frazzled about everything, I cried. It’s actually taken me the better part of a day just to get the brain power to make this post. But here it is.
Mom said the cover was “beautiful” and we want to get a poster sized print of it to frame. Meanwhile, I just sit back completely at a loss that there’s my cover. Pawn Takes Rook is real. It’s a real book that’s going to be out in the world. I honestly haven’t been dreaming this whole thing since November.

21 Comments Add yours

1. Yeah it is pretty awesome. Congrats!! 🙂

1. Lex says:

Thanks Andrew! 😀 I think I’m still in a fog. Like omg. that’s my book. that’s for really my book. :O

1. As awesome as this feels, wait, it gets even better. Holding the book in your hand, the cover will look even better and your happy dance will be even faster 😀

1. Lex says:

PTR is a novella, so it’s EBook Onry~ But I will STILL be over the moon that I can still put it on my Nook and it has all of the DSP legalese in it. 😀 Like it’s not just a Word Doc on my Nook you know. LOL.

2. It’s beautiful, Lex! How wonderful, especially with so much else going on in your life. I will happily share this happy dace *dances around Lex, singing* Congratulations!

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Tempe

1. Lex says:

Thanks Tempe! 😀 I can’t stop looking at it myself. I just feel so stupefied by all the awesome. Now once it hits the Coming Soon page at DSP it’ll be complete pandemonium of emotions. LOL.

1. You’ll have to stop over on my site when that happens! I’d love to show you off, er… your book off ;c) Oh, and I L O V E the Pikachu tee! Too cute

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Tempe

1. Lex says:

It should be any day! (Even tonight! Maybe?) I’m simply eating myself up inside about it. But I’d love to pop by your site and say a few words. 😀 Isn’t the Pikachu tee just the BEST? I was like ‘Pikachu, Nyan Cat, a Threadless Tee design or something horribly nerdy.’ Hogarth is the Ultra-Geek. I adore him to bits. 😀

1. ♙ Takes ♜
            For the truly geeky ;c)

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Tempe

2. Lex says:

Omg the fact that there’s ASCII code for a pawn and a rook that’s freaking awesome. I am nerding out. LOL

3. Love it, love it, Lex. Lots of luck with the release, my dear friend

1. Lex says:

Thanks Jillian. I can’t believe it, it’s been such a long road to finally get to just this point and there’s still so much more to go! 😀

1. yeah, but each step is fun!!

4. Cate says:

Amazing cover for an awesome book. Release day can’t come soon enough!

1. Lex says:

Thanks Cate! I knooooow freaking out!

5. Chris T. Kat says:

Wow, the cover looks amazing! Congrats!

1. Lex says:

Thanks Chris! I honestly didn’t know what I was expecting but this is SO MUCH BETTER. 😀

6. Aimee says:

WooHOO! Congrats it does indeed look uh-mazin’!

1. Lex says:

Thanks Aimee! I miss joo BB! <3

7. bsnowwriter says:

It’s like if Robert Ludlum had graphic-novel art on the covers of his books. Gorgeous!

1. Lex says:

Thanks B! I’m quite flattered you think so! I need to tell my Mom about your comment. She adores the Bourne series. LOL! 😀